Ground-Breaking for First-Ever Staten Island Urban Farm
THE STATEN ISLAND SUSTAINABLE FARM GROUND-BREAKING:
A PROJECT THAT WILL FEED THOSE IN NEED WITH FRESH, HEALTHY FOODS
WHEN: Friday, November 6, 2009 — 11:30AM – 12:30PM
WHAT: Expecting to produce 9,000 pounds of produce annually, The Staten Island Sustainable Farm Project, the first of its kind on Staten Island, will provide fresh food to those in need. By promoting healthier eating habits, the Farm will also act as a much-needed tool to combat the growing epidemic of child- and adulthood obesity. Fruits and vegetables such as apples, peaches, nectarines, tomatoes, collard greens, eggplants, and string beans will be grown.
In addition, the two-acre Farm will feature a nursery that will provide grape plants for Staten Island’s only modern-day working vineyard. It will also have a compost demonstration site. Classes are planned, with the twin goals of educating young people and adults through hands-on gardening and encouraging community involvement through a work-share program. The Farm is located on the grounds of Snug Harbor.
New York State and city officials and other leading dignitaries, including benefiting organizations, will hold a press conference and participate in a ceremonial ground-breaking.
SCHEDULED TO ATTEND:
* City Councilman Ken Mitchell
* Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro
* State Senator Diane Savino
* Assemblyman Matthew Titone
* Representatives for Governor David Patterson, New York State Comptroller Thomas Di Napole, Richmond County District Attorney Daniel M. Donovan, Jr. and Congressman Mike McMahon
* Frances X.O. Paulo Huber, executive director, Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Garden
* Representatives from African Refuge, Inc. and Project Hospitality, benefiting organizations
WHERE: Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden
Winter Garden Pavilion (behind Building P)
1000 Richmond Terrace – Staten Island, New York
CONTACT TO ATTEND: Sandy Rice, The Boreland Group Inc.
ON-SITE CONTACT: Jennefer Witter, The Boreland Group Inc.